Sunday, April 08, 2007

Packing List

Packing List (editted 31 August 2007)

When I was still just a little volunteer-to-be, I was looking desperately for packing advice, and I still wish I had found so more than I did. So here is mine:

Packing for Peace Corps Tanzania
Things I Brought that I Didn't Need:
Sheets. They provide them. Though some people bring a set of nice big high-threadcount sheets and really like them. Fitted sheets are also nice to have and need to be brought. My bed at site is 5' x 6', though there's no guarantee you'll have one of those. But you can always buy one. Some (taller) people will get a custom bed made that's bigger.
White shirts (or white anything else) - they just get dirty
Many shirts - it's fun and easy to get some cool shirts made. I would recommend bringing 3 or 4 shirts to teach in (for teachers). T-Shirts are also pretty available, and you can find some funny ones. I'd bring 3. Any collared shirt is fine. Polo shirt, great. Has funky designs on it? Fine.
I brought a nice frying pan. The one I brought was too big for just me, so I hardly use it, and decent ones are available here. The little non-stick one I got here I use all the time. The one I brought I think I'll only ever use when I have company.
American Stamps. Some book said to bring these, I brought a bunch and haven't used any yet. People don't go to America that frequently.

I had written "Traveler's Checks are a waste. To change them you must go to certain banks and present ID, the receipt, and the check." I take it back. I had my traveler's checks stolen, and assuming the refund comes through, I'm going to be very happy that they were Traveler's Checks, not cash. You get the best exchange rates with $100 denominations. Easier, perhaps, is just bringing a Visa debit card. The two major Tanzanian banks accept Visa. Mastercard can be found only in the really big cities.

Unofficial Peace Corps Uniform: For us Education guys I would say the uniform is zip-off shorts/pants and a lightweight collared shirt. Girls, although they exaggerate how formal TZ culture requires you to be, you will want long skirts in the village. Below the knee always. And almost everybody brings Chacos.

Great things To Have
IPod with solar charger (Solio). If you have electricity, you don't need it. If you don't, it's amazing. Especially if you bring a cord so it can charge your phone. Speaking of which:
Cell Phone: if your phone has a SIM card, bring it! Try to unlock it (if necessary) before leaving America so you can switch SIM cards. It's very nice if you don't need to buy a phone when you get here.
Solar Flashlight - we got them as Thanksgiving gifts from the ambassador. It is amazing. Some people prefer headlamps, but I like the big guy. I have hooks all over my house so I can hang it up like a normal light. A company called Bogo sells a nice model and gives one to a needy family for each one you buy.
Musical Instruments are tons of fun for you, other volunteers, and your friends in the village.

Shoes: running shoes, boots, nice-ish shoes (maybe 2 pair), comfy sandals (like Chacos). Cheap flip-flops are very available. You can also get Chaco's for wholesale prices, just e-mail them and they'll send you a form. You give them a copy of your placement letter and they give you a good price. Thanks Chacos!

Laptop: I've never heard a volunteer say they regret bringing a laptop. It's handy. I keep grades on it, write tests on it, write e-mails on it that I bring to town on my iPod, I've written a grant on it, and now I'm working on writing a math book on it. And sometimes a game of free cell is nice too. That said, you don't need a new, nice laptop. Pretty much any old thing will do, and if it's one you really don't care about, you can give it to someone when you leave, and they will love you forever.

Other things I'm glad I have:
Spices
Nice kitchen knife
Sweater - it actually gets cold here
Waterbottle
Frisbee
Leatherman
A few zip - lock bags. great for traveling with toilet paper in the rainy season.
Spatula
Measuring Cups
Pepper Mill. Pepper seems like a luxury now
Books
Messenger bag

Of course different people will want different things. I do a lot of cooking so I have a lot of cooking stuff on this list. Many people don't.

The best packing advice I found was to divide your stuff into 3 piles, 1 you think you need, 1 you think you want, and 1 of things that would be nice. Take half the stuff you think you need, and 2 or 3 things from the luxury items you think would be nice.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your packing tips! I leave in June and I am pretty much done packing, but I am at the point where I will have to start rethinking and trying to thin out what I'm taking.
Where did you get your Solio (?) solar charger? I have an iPod and some other gadgets that having a solar charger would be really helpful.

Thanks, Caitlin

Gregor said...

I got my Solio on Amazon. Some people got their's from physical stores with more accessories, but I don't really know where.

Jimmy said...

I got my Solio on ebay. Just type in solio and go to the bottom of the page for the stores and look for GeorgiaGPS as the store. It's 74.99 plus some shipping and comes with all the charger adapters you'll need. Some show a pink version but just tell them what color you want. I'm also leaving in June.

-Jimmy

thadk said...

Thanks! I'm comin' in a couple weeks.

Anonymous said...

Is this Gregor Passolt who taught me BAM and Physics at Ulayasi High School in Ludewa Mlangali? I would like to know if you are the one who taught me to play a violin! Please amail me: nicksonn7@gmail.com, Nickson.